River rafting in India is a fun outdoor activity and a popular leisure sport. This adventure sport uses a blown-up raft to steer through a body of water, in most cases a river. This activity must be undertaken with the help and guidance of trained professionals and is often done on different grades of rough water. Dealing with the thrill and the need for teamwork are often major parts of this very enjoyable experience.
India offers some excellent spots for one to enjoy river rafting. Here are five places in the country where you can get your dose of adrenaline, thoroughly enjoy this adventure sport making memories of a lifetime.
1. Coorg provides exceptional river rafting opportunities on the Barapole river. Flowing down the Western Ghats bordering along the Deccan Plateau, the grades range between II and IV. There are around four to five rapids in the higher section and about six to seven rapids in the lower one.
River rafting in Coorg is a thrilling experience on some of the popular rapids here that include Morning Coffee (Grade II), Grasshopper (Grade III), The Ramba Samba (Grade II), The Wicked Witch (Grade III), Big Bang (Grade IV), among others.
Best Season for Rafting: June to September, during the monsoons.
Level of Difficulty: Grade II–IV
Distance Covered: 8 km
2. River Ganga in Rishikesh is one of the world’s top rafting destinations. Adventure lovers here enjoy rafting down rapids that extend from Grade I to Grade IV. One will find several whirlpools and rapids on this almost 16-kilometre stretch. There are around 13 rapids here.
Camping out on the gorgeous white sand river beaches against the picturesque Kumaon Mountains is also a popular activity here.
Best Season for Rafting: September to June.
Level of difficulty: Grade I–IV
Distance Covered: 16 to 36 km
3. The Brahmaputra River is enigmatic and fierce. River rafting is done where the river enters the state of Arunachal Pradesh, down the Tibet region cutting through the Greater Himalayas.
Graded between levels IV to VI, river rafting on the Brahmaputra is a roller-coaster experience of a lifetime. Rapids such as the ‘Pulsating Pulsi’ or the ‘Toothfairy’ provide the biggest rush.
The rafting excursion of the whole river lasts for more than a week. Camping is available along the river blessed with tropical forests, gorgeous valleys, and beautiful scenery.
Best Season for Rafting: November to March.
Level of Difficulty: Grade IV–VI
Distance Covered: 180 km over the period of 7 days.
4. The Kundalika river forms one of the fastest rivers of the South, at Kolad. It is an exceptional rafting destination further below the Himalayas. Flowing among the wonderous Sahyadris, the almost 15-kilometer stretch of rapids provides abundant opportunities for a thrilling adventure. Rapids here range between Grades 3- to Grade 4. The best months for rafting are in the months of monsoon when the river is at its full capacity, so you can enjoy your adventure to the hilt.
Best Season for Rafting: During the months of June through September.
Level of difficulty: Grade III–IV
Distance Covered: 16 km
5. In Kullu Valley at Himachal Pradesh, river rafting is enjoyed on the River Beas. Rafting begins from a point called Pirdi and continues 14 kilometres down to an area called Jhiri.
This river has rapids from Grade I to IV. The full-day adventure is absolutely exhilarating! Enjoy the excitement of the rapids while you take in the breath-taking scenery while making some delightful memories. River rafting here is done throughout the year except between 15 July to 15 September.
Best Season for Rafting: March to July
Level of Difficulty: Grade I–IV
Distance Covered: 14 km
If you head down South to Coorg to seek your thrills, make sure you pick the Club Mahindra resort in Virajpet or Madikeri for a comfortable stay.
Rated among the best Coorg resorts, these retreats will add to the fun of river rafting in Coorg.
Along with comfortable and spacious rooms, the resorts also offer delicious local cuisine of Karnataka in their in-house restaurants. Additionally, there are several activities for you to indulge in at the resorts with your family that include camping, yoga, Ayurvedic treatments, cycling etc.
It isn’t for nothing that either of these properties are rated best Coorg resort by many holidaymakers. Check out the Club Mahindra reviews for more information and the wonderful experiences of many satisfied guests.
A Club Mahindra membership will further help you plan a very convenient and memorable holiday. Look no further than the Club Mahindra reviews and begin planning your vacation now.