Let’s say you’ve experienced all sorts of adventures out there. Maybe you’ve skied from the highest slopes in Switzerland or dove into the deep waters of the Great Barrier Reef. What about the desert? People usually don’t equate ‘desert’ with ‘adventure’. When people think of the desert, they think of vast areas of hot, blistering sands and thirst. Well, we’re here to tell you that a desert adventure safari in the Dubai desert will be anything but miserable. In fact, you’ll love it so much you’ll be returning to for more desert adventures, time and again. Want to know what it’s all about yet? Let’s proceed then!
To Begin With….
Desert Safari Dubai adventure tours are usually organized for a party of six; it’s more fun if all six were part of the same group of pals! Three distinct packages of desert safaris are available:
- Morning Safari with breakfast and coffee and desert adventures galore
- Afternoon safari that culminates just after sunset, with the option of signing up for the overnight safari; it comes with a fabulous in-tent lunch and entertainment.
- Overnight safari with night stay in a genuine Bedouin tent out on the desert; this option comes with a fabulous buffet dinner and in-house entertainment.
Your Desert Adventure
Get ready for your desert adventure that flows as follows:
After your group is picked up at a pre-determined meeting point in a luxury SUV, you will be taken straight into the desert by scenic routes such as Al Awir. Keep your camera handy to capture some great views and selfie backgrounds. Pickup timings will differ according to the safari for which you’ve signed up.
- Camel Caravan Ride
Your first stop will be at a camel farm, where you’ll get the chance to ride a camel out in the desert. If you’ve never seen a camel up close before, not to worry; you will experience a basic orientation course on efficient camel management first before climbing on one. When everyone’s ready, the camel caravan will move into the desert where your adventure begins, with each guest sitting on his or her own camel. A Bedouin dressed in traditional nomadic desert robes will step out of the desert to guide your animals. Then you’ll be off riding your camel across the silky sands just like the ancient nomads used to do! As you ride your camel, be sure to observe the desert fauna and flora; you’ll see desert reptiles and snakes scuttling away from you right into their cool holes. You might spot a desert fox and strangely-shaped desert plants along the way as well.
- Bedouin Tent Experience
After the camel ride, you’ll be taken back to the SUVs for your next stop in the desert adventure. A real-to-goodness Bedouin camp in the desert awaits you, where you can sit back and sip on some hot, sweet and thick Arabian coffee and enjoy breakfast or lunch depending on your safari timings.
- Desert Camp Adventures
Now it’s time to try some exciting adrenalin-jerking dune adventures!
- Sand Skiing: Get on your belly on a sand board and slide down the smooth dunes all the way from the top of the dune. If you’ve water-skied before, this will be easy as pie. You can sand board only in a desert, so enjoy every moment of this adrenalin-filled fun!
- Dune Bashing: You will be driven over the dunes in a 4X4 vehicle at a fast rate, speeding over larger dunes and jumping over smaller dunes. It’ll be like riding a roller coaster, one of enormous size!
- Quad Biking: Ever ridden a quad bike on hard roads? Now try riding one on soft desert dunes and then the hardened desert soil. The desert sands are always shifting, with tiny dunes melting into larger ones. Riding a quad bike on such shifting sands is dicey to say the least. At first if you’re not sure, you can sit behind one a guide on the quad bike and then try it for yourself.
- Camp Entertainment
0nce you’re done with your adventures, refresh yourselves back at the tent. Put on some Bedouin robes and get your hands henna-painted by the henna artists. Henna has been used in Arabia for millennia for its cooling abilities. It soothes the skin and cools your body temperature down. Enjoy the beautiful Arabian designs that spring from the artist’s fingers, as you watch a belly dancer gyrate to Arabian music. Smoke the shisha pipe and relax, feeling for all the world like a real Bedouin in your element! If you’re on a morning or afternoon safari, this is the point where you’ll be dropped off at the pickup point.
- Sunset and Overnight Desert Safaris
The evening sunset safari pick up is at 4 P.M. Again, your first stop will be at the camel ranch where you can enjoy a blissful camel ride under the sun. Then, as we get closer to the Bedouin campsite, it’s time for the sun to set, and time to ready yourself for a fabulous sunset photography session. Sign up for a desert safari experience with a reputed tour operator such as Rayna Tours to experience a superior experience overall.
- Sunset Photography: As the sun goes down, you’ll be taken to the highest dune in the vicinity so you can take photographs of the most magnificent sunset you ever saw. Enjoy your sunset photography! Who knows, someday one of your Desert Safari sunset in Dubai photographs might make its way to a photo museum. The true enormity of the desert and its absolute silence are stunning during sunset, and you will feel this when you are gently enveloped by the serenity of your surroundings. As the sun sets, the last few rays hit the tiny pieces of mica in the sands, turning the whole desert into a glittering fairyland. It’s a magnificent sight.
- Desert Adventures and Camp Entertainment: You can enjoy all the desert adventures that the morning and afternoon safari guests did – dune bashing, quad biking, and sand boarding and so on. After you’ve had your fill of adventures, stretch out on comfortable cushions inside the tent. Enjoy enjoy getting your hands and feet painted with the cooling henna. Smoke a shisha pipe and feel like a real-to-goodness Bedouin from centuries ago.
- Buffet Dinner: Get ready for a fabulous BBQ dinner outside the campsite at dinner time including popular Emirati and continental dishes. Give your taste buds a good workout by trying something you haven’t tried before.
- Overnight Stay: Staying overnight in the desert under the pristine black desert sky is something else indeed. The campsite comprises a bathroom, plenty of sleeping bags and blankets to keep you warm during the cold desert night. Spend the night inside the tent or out on the dunes directly under the skies. Nothing like it in the world. Keep your camera ready for some sunrise photography when you wake.
- Sunrise Photography: A desert sunrise is one of the most splendid sights you’ll ever see. As the desert sun stretches out its golden tendrils over the desert’s dark dunes, you’ll notice an alchemy taking place. What was black onyx turns into pure gold, bit by bit. The whole transformation creates an otherworldly tapestry of light and colors – it’s unbelievable.
A desert safari in Dubai is just what you need to refresh your soul if you’ve been mired in the 9 to 5 routine. The strange mystical vibrations of the desert and its slow-moving pace are just what the doctor ordered. The desert is so far removed from the rest of the world that it feels almost like you’re on a different planet. So for a while, imagine that indeed, you are on a different planet. Let go of everything and let the sereneness envelop you.